Chillout Whites Pack
Winery : Various
A revitalising collection of some not-so-familiar but particularly interesting (and of course delicious) white varieties from around the world. Two of each of these in the mixed dozen.
- 2013 Pierre Luneau Papin La Grange Muscadet (Loire FR): A most beautiful Muscadet. Crisp and refreshing yet with bags of flavour and a silky/viscous mouthfeel. Old vines (vielles vignes) and time on lees is the perfect recipe. An elegant screw cap adds to the appeal. Big favourite Chez Proprietrix. Modest alc 12%, sulphur seems low. SCREW CAP
- 2014 Basa Blanco (Rueda SP): Telmo Rodriguez' Basa Blanco is produced from 40 year old verdejo vines (pronounced 'verdekkho') at 750 metres altitude, and cropped at about 1kg/vine. This is an aromatic wine with tantalising mixture of flowers and lime citrus as well as richer nuttiness. It's full flavoured with a wonderful texture, and inherent freshness. 13% alcohol, SCREW CAP
- 2015 Vina Olabarri Viura (Rioja, SP): Pure refreshment. Aromas of honey, ginger, blossom and lemon. Well chilled, this is about as good as it gets to slake the thirst when the temperature rises. Extremely popular. Easy-to-remove PLASTIC CORK.
- 2013 Fondo Antico Grillo Parlante (Sicily IT): 4 stars, Decanter Magazine: 'White bouquet of flowers on the nose. Fresh herbs and peas are layered with melon and striking acidity loaded with minerals.' Fondo Antico is considered a top producer of Grillo in Sicily. A favourite Chez Proprietrix. DIAM CORK
- 2014 Pe Branco (Alentejo PORTUGAL): Dazzling white of tremendous value (shelf price $18) made by the Herdade de Esporao team headed by Australian-Portuguese David Baverstock, a major figure in Portuguese winemaking. Fragrance, zestiness yet silky viscosity on the finish. Brilliant balcony wine, with or without food. Screw cap.
- 2015 Dom de Majone Picpoul de Pinet (Langeudoc FR): An ancient variety grown on the sandy coastal soils in sight of the oyster farms. With its waxy lemon flavours, delicious 'grapiness' and bright acid in a slightly oily finish, it is as perfect an oyster wine as we can imagine. Low alcohol, mimimal sulphurs. SCREW CAP
Chillout Whites Mixed DOZ $299 (value $317) + FREE FREIGHT