Lazy Days Rose Wines No 1
Winery : Various
It was Hemingway's favourite drink - rosé/ rosado/ rosato/ cerasuolo is made as much for lazy winter afternoons as those languid days of summer. Not only does it please the eye, and refresh, the extra body, tannin and flavour that comes from being made of red grapes, means that rosé satisfies the taste buds and slakes a thirst like no other style. Two of each in the mixed dozen.
- 2015 Alegre y Valganon Clarete $33 (Rioja SP): Not strictly speaking a rosé (which is made from red grapes with little skin contact), a clarete is a very pale, dry wine made from a co-macerating of white grape viura and garnacha red grapes. Once a dominant style, the clarete style has become 'almost mythical', which sad state of affairs prompted The Spanish Acquisition's Scott Wasley to partner with Oscar Alegre and Eva Valganon and make their own. It is glorious - so, so pale, but with real flavour punch and considerable texture.
- 2015 Contesa Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo DOC $26 (Abruzzo IT): Made from Montepulciano d'Abruzzo grapes, giving this rosato punchy, bold flavours. Aptly named - cerasuolo means cherry in Italian - this is both a reference to the colour and also the ripe red cherry flavours that predominate. Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo is one of the newest DOCs in the region, and is a contrast to the full-bodied traditional Montepulciano d'Abruzzo style.
- 2015 Riotor Rosé $29.50 (Provence FR): 40% Grenache, 50% Cinsault and 10% Syrah. Exquisitely perfumed, delicate red berries in the mouth and very clean, dry, almost crunchy finish. Brilliant with food, particularly tapas, mezze or antipasto.
- 2016 Delamere Rose $26 (East Coast TAS): 100% pinot noir from the talented duo of Shane Holloway and Fran Austin (ex Bay of Fires).
- 2015 Capcanes 'Mas Donis' Rosat de Garnacha $28 (Montsant SP): 80% grenache (with a little syrah and merlot) makes for a dry (3g/L) but very expressive rose. Florals and thirst-quenching fruitiness along with savoury finish. Sophisticated and very delicious. Pretty packaging too which adds to the charm.
- 2014 Rimauresq Cotes de Provence Rose $28 (Provence FR): Grenache, cinsault and syrah blend. Lovely balance of rose perfumed florals and red-berried fruit in a crisp, refined and dry style. Like drinking dry Turkish Delight. Pale colour, clean and refreshing.
Lazy Days Rose Mixed DOZ $309 + FREE FREIGHT (value $336) comprises two of each