PORTUGAL - Wine Tasting 6 Pack
Winery : Various
Premium Portuguese whites and reds from Vinho Verde through Alentejo, Dao, Douro and Tejo, including a delicious Madeira. One of each in this tasty, great value 6 pack.
- 2014 Pe Branco Alentejo (white): Dazzling white of tremendous value (shelf price $18) made by the Herdade de Esporao team headed by Australian-Portuguese David Baverstock, a major figure in Portuguese winemaking, who has made a very important contribution to the domestic and international image of Portugal's wines. This blew us all away with its fragrance, zestiness yet silky viscosity on the finish. Brilliant balcony wine, with or without food. Screw cap.
- 2014 Dona Paterna Alvarinho Vinho Verde (white): Alvarinho is indeed the same as Spain's Albarino. This premium white showed all the class and complexity one expects from the grape - sweet pear and citrus on the nose with an overlay of nuttiness. Rich/dry and slightly viscous in the mouth with a clean lick of acid. 20% is aged in old French barrels with lees stirring.
- 2010 Vila Jardim Touriga Nacional Tejo (red): Mostly touriga nacional with a little 'aragones' (aka garnacha/grenache). To quote Jancis Robinson 'Touriga Nacional, the most revered variety for Port has become Portugal's poster child for find dry reds too'. This one is a great example - smoky meatiness and spice with fresh herbs. Ultra fine grape tannins.
- 2011 Assobio Tinto Douro (red): 20YO vines grown on schist soils. This is a blend of red varieties (including Touriga Nacional) from the Herdade de Esperao team, including Michael Wren, the Australia importer. There's a lovely meaty/licorice lick here over dark cherry fruits and spice. Very smooth and easy. 2014 Decanter World Wine Awards – Commended; 2014 Concours Mondial Bruxelles – Gold
- 2010/12 Quinta das Camelias Reserve Dao (red): Very small producer making premium blended reds from a single, elevated estate in the cool, northern Dao region. Possibly the wine of the day, it impressed with its clarity of fruit - morello cherry initially moving into darker plum - and oriental notes of rose and almond. In the mouth it's smooth and soft with chocolatey characters. Classy
- Justino's Reserve Fine Dry 5YO Madeira 375ml: As the story goes, the makers of the style we now know as Madeira accidentally hit upon the recipe when an unsold barrel or two of wine, destined for the New World, returned to the makers after doing a round trip as ship's ballast. Here was something transformed! The simple white wine, fortified with neutral grape spirit, came back as a complex, rich and robust wine. The tradtional recipe hence evolved to heating the wine to 60C for extended periods or simply ageing it in warm conditions for decades. Madeira can be made from sercial, boal, verdelho or malvasia (aka malmsey, the death of George Duke of Clarence, brother of Richard III). Justino's Fine Dry is mostly verdelho and has beautiful balance between slightly sweet and savoury elements with delicious fruity acidity. Lovely for sipping and brilliant for cooking - cakes or sauces. We also have the Fine Rich - not so much sweeter but richer and fruitier. Let us know if you would like this in your mixed pack instead.
The Portuguese Tasting Pack $175 + FREE FREIGHT