Egly Ouriet Champagnes
Winery : Egly Ouriet
The Champagnes of Egly Ouriet are highly regarded, highly sought after and very, very hard to find. Tyson Stelzer rates them 10/10, one of only four Champagne producers to receive the highest rating. Ambonnay is Egly Ouriet's home, this village one of the three greats (Bouzy and Verzenay are the others), for producing Champagne's best pinot noir.
About 30% of the Egly vines are chardonnay, and pinot meunier is harvested from Vrigny. An obsession with fruit ripeness is the key to the Egly style, partnered by very low dosage (usually under 4g) and high levels of 'reserve' wines. The wines are intense, rich and powerful.
- Egly Ouriet Les Vignes de Vrigny: 100% pinot meunier from a single vineyard in Vrigny. 'Deep, intense and fruit rich'.
- Egly Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Tradition: Vintages 2013, '12, '11, '10. 70% pinot, 30% chardonnay from Grand Cru sites, 50% reserve wines. Rob Walters of Bibendum describes the quality as 'out of this world.. puts to shame many a prestige cuvee at double the price.'
- Egly Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Rose: Vintages: 2012 (60%), 2011 (20%), 2010 (20%) mostly pinot noir with 35% chardonnay. 58 months on lees.
'Cranberry, raspberry, white flowers, citrus and chalky notes are some of the signatures. Fine, elegant and chiseled, the Brut Rosé possesses terrific balance and class.' Antonio Gallioni
Egly Ouriet 2007 Grand Millesime: '...broad, creamy Champagne built on textural richness. Lemon oil, white flowers, smoke, almonds and baked apple..' Antonio Gallioni
- Egly Ouriet 2009 Grand Millesime: '70 % Pinot and 30% Chardonnay from Ambonnay from 40 year old vines. Seductive, layered, powerful...' Stephan Reinhardt, The Wine Advocate
- Egly Ouriet Grand Cru Extra Brut V.P.: 'V.P.' stands for Vieillissement Prolongé (prolonged ageing), as the wine spends so long on lees. A blend of 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay. The fruit comes from Ambonnay, Bouzy and Verzenay – all great Grand Cru terroirs.
- Egly Ouriet Grand Cru Blanc de Noirs: From a single, famed site, Les Crayères. Walters lauds this as not just a great Champagne but a great wine - 'Les Crayères is a brilliant terroir, high up on the slope - a natural, sun trapping amphitheatre. Dosage is 3g/l. This is both a tribute to the greatest sites of Ambonnay and to the Egly-Ouriet Domaine.'