ITALY - Gaja Wines
Winery : Gaja
Five generations of the Gaja family have been involved in winemaking since Giovanni Gaja founded his winery in Barbaresco in 1859. Angelo Gaja, who represents the fourth generation, is the current patriarch and his daughters are now also involved in the family business.
As well as the Gaja family's famed properties in Barbaresco (now designated as a 'protected' zone) they also make wine from Pieve S Restituta in Montalcino and another estate in Tuscany at Bolgheri - Ca'Marcanda.
- '13 Gaja Barbaresco DOP: This zone is now designated as DOP (the 'p' for protetta, 'protected). Forty year old vines on average in the Barbaresco slopes 250-300m above sea level. Antonio Gallioni 96/100
- '11 Gaja Sperss Langhe Nebbiolo: 94% nebbiolo, 6% barbera. From Serralunga, the vineyard arranged in a 12ha amphitheatre, 370m above sea level. Ave vine age 50 years. Sour black cherry, truffle, rhubarb & licorice.
- '13 Gaja Costa Russi Barbaresco DOP: Vines 65YO ave. Intriguing bouquet, Elegant and smooth. High ageing potential
- '13 Gaja Sori Tildin Barbaresco DOP: Vines 45 YO ave. Multi-dimensional, rich with dense structure.
- '13 Gaja Sori San Lorenzo Barbaresco DOP: Vines 50 YO ave. Great longevity, matures with extended bottle age. Rich and complex, fruity, mineral and spicy notes.